If you don’t love honey, I recommend you leave this page right now because some seriously honey flavored little cakes are about to go down here. Oh, and the lavender icing complements the sweet honey flavor so well. These things=heaven…no joke. One bite and your mouth is filled with moist, flavorful goodness.
Unlike most “honey flavored” desserts, these actually taste like honey. I hate liar desserts that are supposed to taste like honey, but they taste like vanilla or something. I love vanilla, but I asked for honey!
These mini cakes were the perfect way to soak up the remainder of summer. The warm honey, the flowery, delicate lavender… they made the perfect little treat. Unfortunately I made them for a party and I only got one.
I wanted them all for myself.
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients. In a different bowl, cream the butter and sugar (try not to be alarmed if it doesn’t cream right away. Just give it time). Add the egg and beat well, then add the honey.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating between the two. Flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk… You get the gist. Fill a greased and floured muffin tin (or use paper liners) about 2/3 full. I filled a 16 muffins total. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cakes are golden-brown. Soak the bottoms in honey if desired. It’s
optionalnot optional to frost with lavender icing.
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Bring milk and lavender to a boil. Remove from heat, and let sit for 10 minutes. Strain, (I used a coffee strainer thing) and discard lavender. Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Add more milk if needed. Frost those cakes.
These are amazing cakes, but I can’t take the credit for them. The Inn at the Crossroads made these wonderful delights. Thanks a million. Here’s the original recipe: http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/2012/05/31/honeycakes/