Happy 2016! I hope you had a fantastic 2015, and I hope that you have an even better new year. My goals are to cook lots, eat well, run a ton, and post more on my little blog. I want 2016 to be a great, healthy, happy year.
But… in my mind, 2016 doesn’t really start until January 10th. You see, many people associate a new year with a fresh start, which means healthy food. Ha! Not in our house. My sister and I both have early January birthdays, so cake and candy are thrown at us left and right. On our birthdays, we have cake with breakfast, and cake after dinner. It’s nuts, I know. For her after dinner treat, my sister recommended key lime pie, and of course, I jumped on the opportunity to bake.
Key lime pie is unbelievably simple to make. The hardest part is waiting for it to chill. But your patience is rewarded. This pie has a sweet, buttery, graham cracker crust, and a smooth, sweet and tart filling. Oh my gosh.
Not very new years resolution friendly, is it?
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 9 whole crackers)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- Mix all ingredients together, then press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- Whisk all the ingredients together, then pour into the prepared crust. Bake for 17-20 minutes at 325 degrees. Chill before serving. (I recommend 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the fridge.)
Wow. So easy. The leftover egg whites would make a healthy breakfast after you stuff yourself with this pie.
Its dangerously delicious and easy. You’ve been warned.
*If you hate whacking the life out of graham crackers until they become crumbs, then use a food processor. I got one for my birthday. LIFE CHANGING.